Update!

I've decided to expand this blog to include some personal posts.  Not every post will focus on ecothriftiness, but I'll try to keep any new info I learn circulating through this blog.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Well, the idea was great anyway. . .

So here is the thing.  I went to the super expensive toy store to buy  my son's presents.  I really, really  meant to buy the Plan toys.  I couldn't do it.  I mean, the prices, OH MY GOD.  3 teeny cars for $10.  A small, plain, wooden playhouse for $120.  The playhouse with dolls and furniture for $180.  A drum set that would fit in two shoe boxes, $50.  A block car the size of a small tonka truck for $20.  A recycled and reclaimed wooden/plastic truck the size of a Little People van for $50.

I couldn't.  I mean, I'm ecoTHRIFTY.  For real.  There was no way I was going to be able to rationalize that.  

So, I just bought from name brands and looked them up on the website.  Luckily, I found most of it on the web and they were all safe.  I'll just make sure he doesn't put a few things in his mouth, I guess.

I mean, this just makes me soooo mad.  Why should I have to spend DOUBLE or TRIPLE the money on toys that won't cause cancer, infertility, and global destruction?  Why isn't our government stopping the spread of these toxic toys?  We all know the reasons:  poor funding for testing, self-regulation, China owns us in our national debt -- the list goes on and on.

It makes me sad, but I did the very best I could with the money I had and the time I had to shop.  I guess that is something to feel proud about.

No comments: