Update!

I've decided to expand this blog to include some personal posts.  Not every post will focus on ecothriftiness, but I'll try to keep any new info I learn circulating through this blog.

Thursday, July 3, 2008

It feels so good . . .

Today I saved pounds and pounds of recyclable plastic from the landfill.  And, I eliminated the large, bulky packaging that comes with any new purchase.  How may you ask?

By shopping on Craig's List!  As many of you know, my son is obsessed with large trucks, tractors, etc.  I found a $120 John Deere pedal tractor for $40.  Apparently, her father bought it for her two girls, and they never played with it.  Also, I bought from her a Little Tykes preschool slide for $35 (this is an older model but the new models run between $80- $100).

So, for $75, I purchased over $200 worth of toys in excellent condition.  Plus, there is two less plastic toys sitting in someone's storage, two less toys that needed to be molded from petroleum-based plastic, packaged in cardboard made from a tree, and driven by semi using diesel to a retailer who runs the AC and lights 24/7.

How awesome is that!?!?!

3 comments:

Snarky Mom said...

Definitely a start! Every little bit counts! BTW, the Loudon Co. Convenience center is in the LC industrial Park. Just follow the signs from C St!

Anonymous said...

Loudon County has a recycling center?!?! I didn't know that!! :)

Snarky Mom said...

I'm pretty sure that every county in TN has a "convenience center." Its paid for by your taxes. Most people refer to it as the "dump." Now only can you take your trash there, by you can recycle motor oil, plastic, newspaper, magazines, office paper, cardboard, aluminum, "tin" cans, computers, plastic bags, etc. The Loudon Co. center doesn't accept glass for some reason!

I'm going to post this as a post along with the materials recycled at the 3 locations!