Update!

I've decided to expand this blog to include some personal posts.  Not every post will focus on ecothriftiness, but I'll try to keep any new info I learn circulating through this blog.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hello Brave New Eco-Thrifts!

About Me:  I was a workaholic social worker fighting the good fight until I had my first child.  I couldn't commit myself to working the long exasperating hours at my professional calling once I laid eyes on my beautiful baby angel.  So, I've taken a sabbatical to do the "Stay At Home Mom" adventure.

Like many SAHMs of my generation, I quickly became bored with the housewife duties.  Well, let's just say I was never really that interested in being a domestic goddess from the start.  My egalitarian husband and I share much of the duties of the mundane, so I had a lot of time on my hands.

Ever since I was a child, I HATED waste.  Growing up in a strong Southern family taught me much about the world.  My 86yo maternal grandmother vividly remembers growing up on a subsistence farm during the depression with her 7 siblings.  To this day, she has kept every greeting card ever given to her.  Her attic and basement (as well as every available bureau and closet space) are filled with the treasures others would have dumped in a landfill without a thought.

I am one of the original "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" fanatics.  I'm no hippy, and I certainly wouldn't consider myself caught up in the Green movement hype.  Before I throw anything away, I've always asked myself, "What could I make out of this?"

I mean, why do Earth friendly, organic, non-toxic things cost so much more?  What about the working class people who cannot afford to pay $5 for a tiny box of organic kids cereal?  What about those of us starting a new family, paying off student loans, struggling to make the mortgage on our starter homes?  What about us?

Well, that's what this blog is all about.  I'm determined to make the world better for my son (and his hypothetical siblings), and I'm determined to do it on a budget.  I thought I'd share my experiences with the world in the hopes that other Moms want to do the right thing, but don't have the time, energy, and mucho dinero needed to join the new commercial "Green" bandwagon.

Enjoy! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great blog! I look forward to reading more of your ideas!
Jean